- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Interlaken has two train stations: Interlaken West, where trains arrive from Bern, Thun, and Spiez, and Interlaken Ost (East), which connects you to Brienz and the Jungfrau region. West is the more central station, but check with your hotel—some of the town's fine hotels are clustered nearer the East station, and all Brienzersee boat excursions leave from the docks nearby. The direct train that comes from Bern stops at both stations. From Zürich, a line leads through Bern to Interlaken and takes about two hours; a more scenic trip over the Golden Pass route via Luzern takes about three hours.
Buses to nearby towns leave from the train stations, both of which have taxis to help you schlep your luggage to your hotel; there are also carriage rides for the romantically inclined.
Swift and scenic roads link both Bern and Zürich to Interlaken. From Bern, take A6 leads to Spiez, then A8 to Interlaken. From Zürich, travel by Highway A3 south to pick up first A4 and then A14 in the direction of Luzern. South of Luzern, pick up the A8 in the direction of Interlaken.
The Interlaken Tourist Office, at the foot of the Hotel Metropole, provides information on Interlaken and the Jungfrau region. Arrange your excursions here.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's