Berner Oberland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Top of the world: At 11,333 feet, the Jungfraujoch isn't the highest place on the planet, but it certainly feels like it, with the Alp's longest glacier and scores of snow-slathered peaks so close.
Twin peaks: The upwardly mobile head to the adjacent mountaintop villages of Wengen and Mürren to find the Switzerland of cheese, chalet, and chic cliché.
Shangri-la found: Complete with 72 cascading waterfalls (among Europe's highest), the Lauterbrunnen Valley is like a massive version of Yosemite National Park.
Gilded Gstaad: Money attracts money, and there's certainly a lot of it here. Mere mortals can indulge in exquisite meals, skiing, and overnight stays in paradise.
Old Switzerland, in a nutshell: Ballenberg is a delightfully reconstructed Swiss village—à la America's Colonial Williamsburg—with traditional crafts on show.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe