- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Basel uses EuroAirport (just across the border in France), which is shared with Mulhouse in France and Freiburg in Germany. Direct flights link Basel to most major European cities, including Zürich. The nearest intercontinental airport is Zürich Airport.
Regular bus service runs between EuroAirport and the SBB train station in the center of Basel. The trip takes about 15 minutes and costs 4 SF per person.
One-way taxi fare from the airport to the Basel center is approximately 50 SF; it takes about 15 minutes in light traffic and up to 30 minutes at rush hour (around 7:30 am to 8:30 am, noon to 2 pm, and 5 pm to 7 pm). There are normally cabs at the taxi stand, but if you need to call one from the airport, make sure you leave the building on the Swiss side.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Switzerland Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Switzerland by Train IExplore
- Switzerland by Train — $9,755 IExplore