This bright red edifice, which towers over Marktplatz, was built as a symbol of power and to honor the city's entry into the Swiss Confederation in 1501. Only the middle portion actually dates from the 16th century; a mix of neo-Gothic, neo-Renaissance, and art nouveau architectural styles were added in 1900. A massive clock with figures of the Lady Justice, the emperor Henry II, and his wife, Kunegunde, adorns the center of the facade; all around it is a series of colorful oil paintings, dating back to 1608. Step into the courtyard, where the paintings continue.
Marktpl., Basel, 4051, Switzerland