Blaues und Weisses Haus (Blue and White Houses)
Blaues und Weisses Haus (Blue and White Houses) Review
Built between 1763 and 1775 for two of the city's most successful silk ribbon merchants, these were the residences of the brothers Lukas and Jakob Sarasin. In 1777 the emperor Joseph II of Austria was a guest in the White House. Adding that to the roster of Blue House visitor names—including Czar Alexander of Russia, Emperor Francis of Austria, and King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia, who met for dinner here in 1814—brings the guest book over the top. The restored houses look more cream and gray these days, but are clearly labeled for curious passersby.
- Address: Martinsg., Altstadt, Basel, 4051
- Location: Altstadt