- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
The Kingdom of Glass
Småland is home to the world-famous Swedish glass industry. Scattered among the rocky woodlands of Småland province are isolated villages whose names are synonymous with high-quality crystal glassware. This spectacular creative art was at its height in the late 19th century. The conditions were perfect: large quantities of wood to fuel the furnaces and plenty of water from the streams and rivers. At the time, demand was such that the furnaces burned 24 hours a day.
The region is still home to 16 major glassworks, many of them created through the merging of the smaller firms. You can still see glass being blown and crystal being etched by craftspeople. Most glassworks also have shops selling quality firsts and not-so-perfect seconds at a discount.
Though the glass factories generally prospered before and during the 1900s, this wealth didn't filter down to many of their workers or to Småland's other inhabitants. Poverty became so widespread that the area lost vast numbers of people to the United States from the late 19th through the 20th century. If you're an American with Swedish roots, chances are your ancestors are from this area. The Utvandrarnas Hus (Emigrants' House) in Växjö tells the story of this exodus.
The Kingdom of Glass at a Glance
Elsewhere in The South and the Kingdom of Glass
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Renaissance Malmo on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $178+/Nt Expedia
- Book the BEST WESTERN Royal 3 Nts in Jun Fr $145+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Book 4-Star Master Johan in Malm? Fr $216+/Nt — $216 Expedia
- Book Grand Garden in Jun: Save 15% on this stay! — $176 Save with Expedia, $28/night less
- Renaissance Malmo on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $178+/Nt — $178 Expedia