- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Regular and high-speed car ferries sail from Nynäshamn, a small port on the Baltic an hour by car or rail from Stockholm; commuter trains leave regularly from Stockholm's central station for Nynäshamn. Timetables change frequently, so it is best to consult the operating company, Gotland City Travel, before departure. The regular ferry takes about 5 hours; the fast ferry takes 2½ hours. Boats also leave from Oskarshamn, farther down the Swedish coast and closer to Gotland by about an hour. Call Gotland City Travel for more information.
Skyways flies from Stockholm's Bromma and Arlanda airports to Visby on Gotland. Flights are daily during summer.
The main tourist office is Gotlands Turistförening (Gotland Tourist Association) in Visby. You can also contact Gotland City Travel in Stockholm for lodging or ferry reservations.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe