- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Stora Museum Review
The town of Falun, 230 km (143 mi) northwest of Stockholm via E18 and Route 70, is famous for its copper mine. It began nearly 800 years ago in 1230, fueled Sweden's "Age of Greatness" in the 17th century, and generally held its own until a collapse in 1687; it eventually closed in 1992. Today the major part of the mine is an enormous hole in the ground that, in combination with the adjoining Stora Museum, has become Falun's principal tourist attraction. The one-hour tour through a network of old shafts and tunnels begins with a hair-raising 150-foot descent in an old elevator. Wear old shoes and warm clothing, since the copper-tinged mud can stain footwear and it's cold down there.
- Phone: 023/782030
- Cost: Mine SKr 150, museum free with mine tour
- Hours: Mine May–Aug., daily 10–4; Sept.–mid-Nov., Mar., and Apr., weekdays 11–3, weekends 11–3. Museum May–Aug., daily 10–5; Sept.–Apr., weekdays 11–4, weekends 11–4.
- Website: www.falugruva.se
- Location: Dalarna: The Folklore District
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My introduction to Sweden came as a child with a few words that may be familiar to many others, "Bork de Bork, de Bork, it is time to put on make up.. it is time to dress up right...". Since then it has Read more
Ten dollars to the first person who has any idea what that title means.
I have always shied away from writing trip reports on the Europe Forum. They disappear so quickly and frankly don’t seem worth Read more
Was Interested in first hotel riesen in Stockholm but just when I was about to book I read a few bad reviews about the hotel that it is not a 4 star hotel and rooms and lobby furnishings very worn.
Has Read more
· News & Features
With its rich history, intoxicating culture, and gorgeous mix of architecture, Cambodia serves up sights... Read more
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more