- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
To get to this relaxed lakeside town of 20,000, you can follow the northern shore of Lake Siljan (there is a bridge at Färnäs), or follow the lake's southern shore through Leksand and Gesunda to get a good sense of Dalarna.
Mora is best known as the finishing point for the world's longest cross-country ski race, the Vasalopp, which begins in March 90 km (56 mi) away at Sälen, a ski resort close to the Norwegian border. The race commemorates a fundamental piece of Swedish history: the successful attempt by Gustav Vasa in 1521 to rally local peasants to the cause of ridding Sweden of Danish occupation. The race attracts thousands of competitors from all over the world, including the Swedish king. There is a spectacular mass start at Sälen before the field thins out. The finish is eagerly awaited in Mora, though since the start of live television broadcasts, the number of spectators has fallen.
Mora at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe