Bohuslän Travel Guide
It was from the rocky, rugged shores of Bohuslän that the 9th- and 10th-century Vikings sailed southward on their epic voyages. This coastal region north of Göteborg provides a foretaste of Norway's fjords farther north. Small towns and lovely fishing villages nestle among the distinctively rounded granite rocks and the thousands of skerries (rocky isles or reefs) and larger islands that form Sweden's western archipelago. The ideal way to explore the area is by drifting slowly north of Göteborg, taking full advantage of the uncluttered beaches and small rustic fishing villages. Painters and sailors haunt the region in summer.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Bohuslan restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Bohuslän
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Gothenburg Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $307+/Nt Expedia
- Save 15% on this stay!: Grand Opera in May Save with Expedia, $39/night less
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now80.1° F Scattered Clouds 67% Humidity
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My film “Vikings, Tivoli and Trolls” presents the highlights of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, starring Copenhagen’s colorful Nyhavn Canal, entertainment at the Tivoli amusement park; Stockholm’s Read more
On 27th Dec. Read more
We are a group of Danish students that would really appreciate if you would take 1 minute of your time to answer this questionnaire.
Our goal is to get some information on traveling habits of backpackers Read more