- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
There are many outdoor activities to be experienced in the Pyrenees and plenty of guides and outfitters to help. Trekking, horseback riding, adventure sports such as canyoning and ballooning, and more contemplative outings like bird-watching and botanical tours are just a few of the specialties available in any of the main Pyrenean resorts.
Well populated with trout, the Pyrenees' cold-water streams provide excellent angling from mid-March to the end of August. Notable places to cast a line are the Segre, Aragón, Gállego, Noguera Pallaresa, Arga, Esera, and Esca rivers. Pyrenean ponds and lakes also tend to be rich in trout. Chema Ramón and his company Danica, just south of Benasque, can take you fly-fishing anywhere in the world by horse or helicopter, but the Pyrenees is their home turf. For between €120 and €200 a day (depending on equipment), you'll be whisked to high Pyrenean lakes and ponds, streams and rivers, armed with equipment and expertise.
Danica (659/735376 or 974/553493. www.danicaguias.com.)
Alto Aragón (616/452337. 974/371281. www.altoaragon.co.uk.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe