Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici
Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici Review
The breathtaking scenery of this national park is formed by jagged peaks, steep rock walls, and an abundance of high mountain terrain, all of which lie in the shadow of the twin peaks of Els Encantats. More than 300 glacial lakes and lagoons trickle through forests and meadows of wildflowers to the meandering Noguera River watercourses: the Pallaresa to the east and the Ribagorçana to the west. The land range sweeps from soft lower meadows below 5,000 feet to the highest crags at nearly double that height. The twin Encantats measure more than 9,000 feet, and the surrounding peaks of Beciberri, Peguera, Montarto, and Amitges hover between 8,700 feet and a little under 10,000 feet.
The nine mountain refuges here range from the 18-bed Besiberri—the highest bivouac in the Pyrenees at 9,174 feet—to the 70-bed Ventosa i Calvell, at 7,326 feet at the foot of Punta Alta. Between June and September these mountain accommodations fill with tired and hungry hikers sharing trail tips and lore and it is essential to make a reservation.
The park has strict rules: no camping, no fires, no swimming, no vehicles beyond certain points, and no unleashed pets. Though driving inside the park is not allowed, it is possible to organize a taxi in Boí or Espot. For information and refuge reservations, contact the park's administration office, Casa del Parque de Boí.
- Address: Calle de les Graieres, 2, Ca de Simamet, Boí, 25528
- Phone: 973/696189
- Cost: Free
- Website: reddeparquesnacionales.mma.es/en/parques/aiguestortes/index.htm
- Location: Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes i Estany de Sant Maurici
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello everyone, Trip report of our May trip to Northwest Spain on http://rebeccasnyder.com/18-days-in-northwest-spain.htm. On our Co... Read more
We are back from our wonderful, incredible, exhausting, educational and all around fabulous trip to Spain and Portugal! Everyone was... Read more