- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Monasterio de Piedra
Monasterio de Piedra Review
An hour's drive southwest of Zaragoza brings you to the Cistercian Monasterio de Piedra, a lush oasis on the arid Aragonese meseta (plain). Founded in 1195 by Alfonso II of Aragón and named for the nearby Río Piedra (Stone River, so called for the calcified limestone deposits along its banks), the monastery has a 16th-century Renaissance section that is now a moderately priced private hotel (62 rooms at €98 to €136; facilities include bar, restaurant, parking; the rooms are still somewhat monastaic and austere). If you can't stay for the night, come to visit the 12th-century cloister, wine museum, and park—the caves, waterfalls, and walkways suspended over the riverbed are spectacular.
- Address: Rte. C202, 113 km (70 miles) southwest of Zaragoza via A-2 Nuévalos, 50210
- Phone: 902/196052
- Cost: €15 (includes park, monastery and exhibitions)
- Hours: Monastery and exhibitions Mar.–Oct. 10–1:15 and 3–7; Nov.–Feb., 11:15–1:15 and 3:15–5:15. Park Apr.–Oct. 9–8; Nov.–Mar. 9–6
- Website: www.monasteriopiedra.com
- Location: Zaragoza
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This TR is embarrassingly delayed. Read more
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more