- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Museo Arqueológico (Museum of Archaeology)
Museo Arqueológico (Museum of Archaeology) Review
The biggest attraction here is a replica of the early cave paintings in Altamira (access to the real thing, in Cantabria Province, is highly restricted). Also of note is La Dama de Elche, a bust of a wealthy, 5th-century BC Iberian woman; notice that her headgear is a rough precursor to the mantillas and hair combs still associated with traditional Spanish dress. The ancient Visigothic votive crowns are another highlight; discovered in 1859 near Toledo, they are believed to date back to the 8th century. The museum—currently under renovation until at least the end of 2013—shares its neoclassical building with the Biblioteca Nacional (National Library).
- Address: C. Serrano 13, Salamanca, Madrid, 28001 | Map It
- Phone: 91/577–7912; 91/580–7823 library
- Cost: Free (while the renovations last)
- Hours: Museum Tues.–Sat. 9:30–8, Sun. 9:30–3; library (currently closed for renovations) weekdays 9–9, Sat. 9–2
- Website: man.mcu.es
- Metro: Colón.
- Location: Salamanca and Retiro
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Though the trip has been been in the works for quite a while, we are just now booking flights, hotels, trains, etc. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spai ... Read more
Even if you're not the most observant tourist, it's hard not to take notice of the literary history tha... Read more
From tapas dive bars to triple Michelin-starred restaurants, Madrid's dining scene has it all.... Read more