- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Madrid is blazing hot in the late spring and summer, but madrileños have a relentless yearning for nightlife. As a result, the city allows nearly 2,000 bars and restaurants to create outdoor spaces for enjoying the cooler, dry summer nighttime air.
For formal summer dining, we recommend some of the many lovely hotel restaurants, most of which have private and peaceful gardens or roof terraces. Try the Ritz hotel, La Biblioteca del Santo Mauro (at Hotel Santo Mauro), El Jardín de Orfila (at Hotel Orfila), and La Terraza del Casino.
Two midrange restaurants with good terraces are Sacha and Mercado de la Reina.
If you just want a bite or an early-evening drink, drop by the La Latina neighborhood, especially Plaza de la Paja or Plaza de San Andrés, across from the Church of San Andrés, or the terraces at Plaza de Olavide, near Malasaña and the Bilbao subway stop.
Plaza Santa Ana is a pricier, more-touristy alternative. Plaza Chueca in the neighborhood of the same name, the Mercado de Fuencarral (halfway between Gran Vía and Tribunal), the Plaza de 2 de Mayo, and the Plaza de las Comendadoras in Malasaña are always bustling and crowded with younger people.
The best nightlife is along the terraces on Castellana, at Terraza Atenas on Calle Segovia, and at the hotel rooftop bars that have spread out in the last few years: Hotel Urban, ME Reina Victoria, Silken Puerta de América, De las Letras, and Room Mate Óscar.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe