- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Balearic Islands—especially Formentera and Ibiza—are ideal for exploration by bicycle. Parts of Majorca are quite mountainous, with challenging climbs through spectacular scenery; along some country roads, there are designated bike lanes. Bicycles are easy to rent, and tourist offices have details on recommended routes. Minorca is relatively flat, with lots of roads that wander through pastureland and olive groves to small coves and inlets. Ibiza, too, is relatively flat and easy to negotiate, though side roads can be in poor repair. Formentera is level, with bicycle lanes on all connecting roads.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $859 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $1449 & up -- Balcony: Summer France, Italy & Spain Cruise — $1,449 Royal Caribbean