Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Planning Your Time
Most European visitors to the Balearics pick one island and stick with it, but you could easily see all three. Start in Majorca with Palma. Begin early at the Cathedral and explore the Llotja, the Almudaina Palace, and the Plaça Major. The churches of Santa Eulalia and Sant Francesc and the Arab Baths are a must. Staying overnight in Palma means you can sample the nightlife and have time to visit the museums.
Take the old train to Sóller and rent a car for a trip over the Sierra de Tramuntana to Deià, Son Marroig, and Valldemossa. The roads are twisty, so give yourself a full day. Spend the night in Sóller and you can drive from there in less than an hour via Lluc and Pollença to the Roman and Arab remains at Alcúdia.
By fast ferry it's just over three hours from Port d'Alcúdia to Ciutadella, on Minorca; the port, the cathedral, and the narrow streets of the old city can be explored in half a day. Make your way across the island to Mahón, and devote an afternoon to the highlights there. From Mahón, you can take a 30-minute interisland flight to Eivissa. On Ibiza, plan a full day for the World Heritage site of Dalt Vila and the shops of Sa Penya, and the better part of another for Santa Gertrudis and the north coast. If you've come to Ibiza to party, of course, time has no meaning.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe