- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Museu d'Es Baluard (Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Palma)
Museu d'Es Baluard (Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Palma) Review
At the western end of the city, the Museu d'Es Baluard rises on a long-neglected archaeological site, parts of which date back to the 12th century. The building itself is an outstanding convergence of old and new: the exhibition space uses the surviving 16th-century perimeter walls of the fortified city, including a stone courtyard facing the sea and a promenade along the ramparts. There are three floors of galleries, and the collection includes work by Miró, Picasso, Henri Magritte, Tapiès, Alexander Calder, and other major artists. The courtyard café-terrace Restaurant del Museu (Nov.-May, Tuesday-Sunday 10-8; Jun.-Oct. 10-midnight) affords a fine view of the marina.
- Address: Pl. Porta de Santa Catalina 10, Palma, Majorca, 07012 | Map It
- Phone: 971/908200
- Cost: Wed., Thurs. and weekends €6; Tues. €4.50; voluntary contributions on Fri.; free on some weekends in Feb.
- Hours: Tues.--Sat. 10--8; Sun. 10--3
- Website: www.esbaluard.org
- Location: Palma de Majorca
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $849 & up -- Mediterranean 7-Night Summer Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $699 & up -- Summer: Italy-France-Spain Cruise w/Oceanview — $699 Royal Caribbean
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
And we're off! Read more
I'm a Verizon customer and have never been able to use my phone in Europe even after they told me I would be able to.
However, I recently got a Motorola Droid 4 G. Verizon assures me I'll be able to call Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more