- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Eivissa (Ibiza Town)
Hedonistic and historic, Eivissa (Ibiza, in Castilian) is a city jam-packed with cafés, nightspots, and trendy shops; looming over it are the massive stone walls of Dalt Vila —the medieval city declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1999—and its Gothic cathedral. Every Saturday at 8 pm (7 pm in winter) a one-hour dramatized tour of Dalt Vila departs from Es Mercat Vell (the old market in Pl. de la Constitució, at the foot of the walls). Three performers in period costume and a guide, to provide commentary in English, enact a legendary 15th-century love story as they move through the medieval mise en scène (971/399232 €10; reservations required firstname.lastname@example.org). Squeezed between the north walls of the old city and the harbor is Sa Penya, a long labyrinth of stone-paved streets that offer some of the city's best offbeat shopping, snacking, and exploring.
The tourist information office on Vara de Rey has a useful map of walks through the old city.
Eivissa (Ibiza Town) at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's