When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
Galicia can get very hot (over 30°C/90°F) between June and September, though summer is the best time for swimming and water sports and for Celtic music festivals—the Ortigueira Festival (www.festivaldeortigueira.com) in early July attracts leading Celtic musicians worldwide. Asturias, in the mountains, is cooler. Galicia can be rainy to the point of saturation—not for nothing is this region called Green Spain—so avoid the area in winter: the rain, wind, and freezing temperatures make driving an arduous experience. Spring and fall are ideal, as the weather is reasonable and crowds are few.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe