- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A car is the best way to get around. The four-lane A6 expressway links the area with central Spain; it takes about five hours (650 km [403 mi]) to get from Madrid to Santiago, and from Madrid, it's 240 km (149 mi) on the N1 or the A1 toll road to Burgos, after which you can take the N623 to complete the 390 km (242 mi) to Santander.
The expressway north from León to Oviedo and Gijón is the fastest way to cross the Cantabrian mountains. The AP9 north–south Galician ("Atlantic") expressway links A Coruña, Santiago, Pontevedra, and Vigo, and the A8 in Asturias links Santander to Ribadeo. Local roads along the coast or through the hills are more scenic but slower.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe