Founded in 1156, this town was one of the seven capitals of the kingdom of Galicia from the 16th to early 19th century. The cathedral, consecrated in 1248, has a museum, a bishop's tomb with inlaid stone, and medieval murals showing St. Peter and the Slaying of the Innocents. The cathedral dominates the ancient Plaza Mayor, where a medieval pageant and market are held the first Sunday in August. The quiet streets and squares are filled with old buildings, monasteries, and churches, and include a medieval Jewish quarter.
Need trip ideas? Get inspired by our curated collections of the world's best destinations.More