- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Muros is a popular summer resort with lovely, arcaded streets framed by Gothic arches. The quiet back alleys of the old town reveal some well-preserved Galician granite houses, but the real action takes place when fishing boats return to dock from the mussel-breeding platforms that dot the bay. At around 6 pm, a siren signals the start of the lonja (fish auction), to which anyone is welcome, although you need a special license to buy. Trays spilling over with slimy octopi or cod line the floor, covered in a sheen of saltwater, squid ink, and fish blood; the favored footwear is knee-high rubber boots. Good, nearby beaches include Praia de San Francisco and Praia de Area.
Elsewhere in Galicia and Asturias
- Cangas de Onís
- A Coruña
- O Cebreiro
- O Grove
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's