- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To see high alpine meadowland, some rare Spanish lakes, and views over the peaks and out to sea (if the mist ever disperses), take the narrow road up past Covadonga to Lake Enol, stopping for the view en route. Starting to the right of the lake, a three-hour walk takes in views from the Mirador del Rey, where you can find the grave of pioneering climber Pedro Pidal. Farther up the road from Lake Enol are a summer-only tourist office and Lake Ercina, where Pope John Paul II picnicked during his 1989 tour of Asturias and Galicia.
Elsewhere in Galicia and Asturias
- Cangas de Onís
- A Coruña
- O Cebreiro
- O Grove
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's