- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At the southern end of the AP9 freeway and the Ría de Vigo, Baiona (Bayona in Castilian) is a summer haunt of affluent Gallegos. When Columbus's Pinta landed here in 1492, Baiona became the first town to receive the news of the discovery of the New World. Once a castle, Monte Real is one of Spain's most popular paradores; walk around the battlements for superb views. Inland from Baiona's waterfront is the jumble of streets that make up Paseo Marítima: head here for seafood restaurants and lively cafés and bars. Calle Ventura Misa is one of the main drags. On your way into or out of town, check out Baiona's Roman bridge. The best nearby beach is Praia de América, north of town toward Vigo.
Elsewhere in Galicia and Asturias
- Cangas de Onís
- A Coruña
- O Cebreiro
- O Grove
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's