- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Trujillo rises up from the boulder-strewn fields like a great granite schooner under full sail. Up above, the rooftops and towers seem medieval. Down below, Renaissance architecture flourishes in squares such as the Plaza Mayor, with its elegant San Martín church. As in Cáceres, storks' nests top many towers in and around the old town—they've become a symbol of Trujillo. Dating back at least to Roman times, the city was captured from the Moors in 1232 and colonized by a number of leading military families.
Trujillo at a Glance
- Casa Museo de Pizarro
- Church of San Martín
- Church of Santa María (Iglesia de Santa María La Mayor)
- La Villa
Elsewhere in Extremadura
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's