Parque Natural de Monfragüe
Parque Natural de Monfragüe Review
At the junction of the rivers Tiétar and Tajo, 20 km (12 miles) south of Plasencia on the EX208, is Extremadura's only national park. This rocky, mountainous wilderness is known for its diverse plant and animal life, including lynx, boar, deer, fox, black storks, imperial eagles, and the world's largest colony of black vultures. Bring binoculars and head for the lookout point called Salto del Gitano (Gypsy's Leap), on the C524 just south of the Tajo River—vultures can often be spotted wheeling in the dozens at close range. The park's visitor center and main entrance is in the hamlet of Villareal de San Carlos.
- Address: Carretera EX208, Villareal de San Carlos, 10694
- Phone: 927/199134; 927/116498
- Hours: Park daily; visitor center Apr.–Oct., weekends 11–7; irregular hours during the week and Nov.–Mar. (call ahead to check)
- Website: www.monfrague.com or www.parquedemonfrague.com
- Location: La Vera and Monasterio de Yuste