- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Málaga's Semana Santa (Holy Week) processions are dramatic. Nerja and Estepona celebrate San Isidro (May 15) with typically Andalusian ferias with plenty of flamenco and fino (sherry). The feast of San Juan (June 23 and 24) is marked by midnight bonfires on beaches along the coast. Coastal communities honor the Virgen del Carmen, the patron saint of fishermen, on her feast day (July 16). The annual ferias (more general and usually lengthier celebrations than fiestas) in Málaga (early August) and Fuengirola (early October) are among the best for sheer exuberance.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe