- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Nerja—the name comes from the Moorish word narixa, meaning "abundant springs"—has a large community of expats, who live mainly outside town in urbanizaciones ("village" developments). The old village is on a headland above small beaches and rocky coves, which offer reasonable swimming despite the gray, gritty sand. In July and August, Nerja is packed with tourists, but the rest of the year it's a pleasure to wander the old town's narrow streets.
Nerja at a Glance
Elsewhere in Costa del Sol and Costa de Almería
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's