- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mijas is in the foothills of the sierra just north of the coast. Long ago foreign retirees discovered the pretty, whitewashed town, and though the large, touristy square may look like an extension of the Costa, beyond it are hilly residential streets with timeworn homes. Try to visit late in the afternoon, after the tour buses have left.
Mijas extends down to the coast, and the coastal strip between Fuengirola and Marbella is officially called Mijas-Costa. This area has several hotels, restaurants, and golf courses.
Mijas at a Glance
Elsewhere in Costa del Sol and Costa de Almería
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's