- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mijas is in the foothills of the sierra just north of the coast. The pretty whitewashed town was discovered long ago by foreign retirees, and, though the large, touristy square may look like an extension of the Costa, beyond it are hilly residential streets with time-worn homes. Try to visit late in the afternoon, after the tour buses have left.
Mijas extends down to the coast, and the coastal strip between Fuengirola and Marbella is officially called Mijas-Costa. This area has several hotels, restaurants, and golf courses.
Mijas at a Glance
Elsewhere in Costa del Sol and Costa de Almería
- Agua Amarga
- The Axarquía
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Almer?a: Save at the Embajador in May Fr $35+/Nt Save with Expedia, $7/night less
- Save 10% on this stay!: Husa Gran Fama in May Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Hot Deal on a 8 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $529 Expedia
- Book the Tryp Indalo Almeria 3 Nts in May Fr $62+/Nt — $62 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Hot Deal on a 10 Nt Cruise! Norwegian Cruise Line Fr $649 — $649 Expedia