When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
Come for the beaches in the hot summer months, but expect crowds and oppressive heat—up to 40°C (104°F). The Mediterranean coast is more comfortable in May and September.
February and March are the peak months for skiing in the Pyrenees. Winter traveling in the region has other advantages: Valencia still has plenty of sunshine, and if you're visiting villages and wineries in the countryside you might find you've got the run of the place! A word of warning: many restaurants outside the major towns may close on weekdays in winter, so call ahead. Museums and centers of interest tend to have shorter winter hours, many closing at 6 pm.
The Costa Blanca beach area gets hot and crowded in summer, and accommodations are at a premium. In contrast, spring is mild and an excellent time to tour the region, particularly the rural areas, where blossoms infuse the air with pleasant fragrances and wildflowers dazzle the landscape.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $87 & up -- Barcelona: 4-Star Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Mercure Augusta Barcelona Valles
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- Spain Family IExplore
- Spain Family — $3,569 IExplore