- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Museo de El Greco (El Greco Museum)
Museo de El Greco (El Greco Museum) Review
This house that once belonged to Peter the Cruel's treasurer, Samuel Levi, is said to have later been El Greco's home, though there's little historical evidence to prove the artist lived here. Nevertheless, the interior is decorated to resemble a "typical" house of El Greco's time. The house is now incorporated into a revamped El Greco museum with several of the artist's paintings, including a panorama of Toledo with the Hospital of Tavera in the foreground, and works of several other 16th- and 17th-century artists. There are also medieval caves excavated at the site, and a beautiful garden in which to take refuge from Toledo's often scorching summer heat. The impressive museum complex has become a centerpiece for Toledo turism since its 2012 reopening following renovations. It's also slated to host several events for the 'El Greco 2014' festival, marking the 400th anniversary of the artist's death.
- Address: Paseo del Tránsito s/n, Toledo, 45002 | Map It
- Phone: 925/223665
- Cost: €3; free Sat. after 4 pm and all day Sun.
- Hours: Apr.–Sept., Tues.–Sat. 9:30–8, Sun. and holidays 10–3; Oct.–Mar., Tues.–Sat. 9:30–6:30, Sun. and holidays 10–3. Last tickets sold 15 min before closing
- Website: museodelgreco.mcu.es or elgreco2014.com
- Location: Toledo
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Barcelona will be full of the greatest flamenco dancers every night from now until the beginning of January. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more