- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Astorga, where the pilgrimage roads from France and Portugal merge, once had 22 hospitals to lodge and care for ailing travelers. The only one left today is next to the cathedral, which is a huge 15th-century building with four statues of St. James. Astorga is in the area of Maragatos ethnicity, which has a distinct culture and architecture characteristics, stemming from the region's Celtic and, later, Roman roots.
Astorga at a Glance
Elsewhere in Castile–León and Castile–La Mancha
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's