When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
July and August can be brutally hot, and November through February can get bitterly cold, especially in the Sierra de Guadarrama. May and October, when the weather is sunny but relatively cool, are the two best months to visit central Spain.
Spring in Extremadura is the ideal season, especially in the countryside when the valleys and hills are covered with a dazzle of wildflowers. If you can time it right, the stunning spectacle of cherry-blossom season in the Jerte Valley and La Vera takes place around mid-March. Fall is also a good time for Extremadura, though there may be rain starting in late October.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Leon Fr $63+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $8/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Tryp Leon Fr $81+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- 4-Star Alfonso V Fr $56+/Nt — $56 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Valladolid Savings! Book at Tryp Sofia Parquesol Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Book 4-Star Novotel Valladolid Fr $57+/Nt — $57 Expedia