- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Ermita de San Segundo (Hermitage of St. Secundus)
Ermita de San Segundo (Hermitage of St. Secundus) Review
At the west end of the town walls, next to the river in a farmyard largely hidden by poplars, this small Romanesque hermitage was founded on the site where the remains of St. Secundus (a follower of St. Peter) were reputedly discovered. It has a realistic-looking marble monument to the saint, carved by Juan de Juni. Inside, a trio of arches and naves symbolizes the Christian trinity—but is rumored to actually be an architectural error. The chapel's caretaker doesn't always adhere to posted visiting hours, and you may have to ask for a key in the adjoining house. Still, it's worth the walk for a look outside.
- Address: Pl. de San Segundo s/n, Ávila, 05002
- Phone: 920/353900 bishop's office
- Cost: €1
- Hours: Daily 11–1 and 4–5
- Location: Ávila
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
I was on the 09:20 Barcelona to Paris TGV Duplex on Monday (16 December 2013) - only its 2nd day of operation. Read more
Off a cruise ship in Marseille for 1 day.
Been to AIX; thinking of CASSIS or AVIGNON for a day trip .
thanks Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more