- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
San Isidoro el Real
San Isidoro el Real Review
The sandstone basilica of San Isidoro el Real, on Calle Cid, was built into the side of the city wall in 1063 and rebuilt in the 12th century. Adjoining the basilica, the Panteón de los Reyes (Royal Pantheon), which has earned the title of the Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art, has vibrant 12th-century frescoes on its pillars and ceiling. The pantheon was the first building in Spain to be decorated with scenes from the New Testament. Look for the agricultural calendar painted on one archway, showing which farming task should be performed each month. Twenty-three kings and queens were once buried here, but their tombs were destroyed by French troops during the Napoleonic Wars. Treasures in the adjacent Museo de San Isidoro include a jewel-encrusted agate chalice, a richly illustrated handwritten Bible, and many polychrome wood statues of the Virgin Mary.
- Address: Pl. de San Isidoro 4, León, 24003 | Map It
- Phone: 987/876161
- Cost: Basilica free, Royal Pantheon and museum €4 for guided tours.
- Hours: Sept.--June, Mon.--Sat. 10--1:30 and 4--6:30, Sun. 10--1:30; July and Aug., Mon.--Sat. 9--8, Sun. 9--2.
- Website: www.sanisidorodeleon.net
- Location: León
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star Tryp Leon Fr $70+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- Explore Leon For Less! Book Fr $55+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- Alfonso V on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Expedia
- 4-Star Santiago Leon Fr $59+/Nt — $59 Hotels.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Eurostars Leon Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Save with Expedia, $8/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
And we're off! Read more
We are completing the first leg of the camino ending at Logrono on July 3 rd and are looking for the best travel route back to Paris to catch our return flight back to Australia on the 15th July.
We are Read more
· News & Features
Montenegro is heating up, and for good reason.... Read more
You're all ready to go to Disney—the kids are packed, you've got good walking shoes.... Read more
Love 'em?... Read more