- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Basílica de San Vicente (Basilica of St. Vincent)
Basílica de San Vicente (Basilica of St. Vincent) Review
North of Ávila's cathedral, on Plaza de San Vincente, is this much-venerated Romanesque basilica, founded on the supposed site where St. Vincent was martyred in the year 303 with his sisters, Sts. Sabina and Cristeta. Construction began in 1130 and continued through the 12th century; the massive church complex was restored in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The west front, shielded by a vestibule, still has damaged but expressive Romanesque carvings depicting the death of Lazarus and the parable of the rich man's table. The sarcophagus of St. Vincent forms the centerpiece of the basilica's Romanesque interior. The extraordinary, Asian-looking canopy above the sarcophagus is a 15th-century addition.
- Address: Pl. de San Vicente 1, Ávila, 05001 | Map It
- Phone: 920/225969 tourist office
- Cost: €2; free Sun.
- Hours: May–Oct., Mon.–Sat. 10–6:30, Sun. and holidays 10–2 and 4–6; Nov.–Apr., Mon.–Sat. 10–1:30 and 4–6:30, Sun. and holidays 10–2 and 4–6.
- Website: www.basilicasanvicente.es
- Location: Ávila
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
I'm going to Spain next month and I was wondering if you could give me aome tips on where to stay and what to do in Seville (3 days) and Malaga (4 days). Read more
· News & Features
Navigate the chaotic street food scene of Ho Chi Minh City like a pro with our quick guide to no-fuss ... Read more
Come for the beautiful architecture and stay for the vibrant local culture.... Read more
A look at ultra-luxurious airline accomodations and a fascinating visual breakdown of literary storytelling are... Read more