- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Toledo's cathedral is one of the most impressive structures in all of Spain, and a must-see on any visit to the city. The elaborate structure owes its impressive Mozarabic chapel, with an elongated dome crowning the west facade, to Jorge Manuel Theotokópoulos. The rest of the facade, however, is mainly early 15th century; it features a depiction of Mary presenting her robe to Ildefonsus, Toledo's patron saint, a Visigoth who was archbishop of the city in the 7th century. Chartres and other Gothic cathedrals in France inspired the cathedral's 13th-century architecture, but the squat proportions give it a Spanish feel, as do the weight of the furnishings and the elaborate choir in the center of the nave. Immediately to your right as you enter the building is a beautifully carved plateresque doorway by Covarrubias, marking the entrance to the Treasury. The latter houses a small Crucifixion by the Italian painter Cimabue and an extraordinarily intricate late-15th-century monstrance by Juan del Arfe, a silversmith of German descent; the ceiling is an excellent example of Mudejar (11th- to 16th-century Moorish-influenced) workmanship.
From here, walk around to the ambulatory; off to the right side is a chapter house with a strange mixture of Italianate frescoes by Juan de Borgoña. In the middle of the ambulatory is an exemplary baroque illusionism by Narciso Tomé known as the Transparente, a blend of painting, stucco, and sculpture. Finally, off the northern end of the ambulatory, you'll come to the sacristy and several El Grecos, including one version of El Espolio (Christ Being Stripped of His Raiment), the first recorded instance of the painter in Spain. Before leaving the sacristy, look up at the colorful and spirited late-baroque ceiling painting by the Italian Luca Giordano.
- Address: Calle Cardenal Cisneros 1, Toledo, 45002 | Map It
- Phone: 925/222241 general information
- Cost: €10 for entire cathedral; €7 for cathedral, select museums and partial cloister
- Hours: Mon.--Sat. 10--6, Sun. and holidays 2--6; gates close at 6:30
- Website: www.catedralprimada.es
- Location: Toledo
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $87 & up -- Barcelona: 4-Star Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Mercure Augusta Barcelona Valles
- $1999 -- Spain: 6-Night Trip with Airfare & Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- Spain Family IExplore
- Spain Family — $3,569 IExplore
Just got back from a few days in Barcelona with a fellow Fodorite. Read more
I have added photos from Spain, Morocco, and Gibraltar to my website. Read more
hello fellow travelers!
I am about to rent a car from Barcelona, to drive around the Costa Brava for 3 days. We are four (short, fit, slim) adults with a 21" rolling suitcase each. The less expensive cars Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more