- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Toledo's Alcázar ("fortress" in Arabic), originally a Moorish citadel occupied from the 10th century until the Reconquest, is on a hill just outside the walled city, dominating the horizon. The south facade—the building's most severe—is the work of Juan de Herrera, of El Escorial fame, while the east facade incorporates a large section of battlements. The finest facade is the northern, one of many Toledan works by Covarrubias, who did more than any other architect to introduce the Renaissance style here. The building's architectural highlight is Covarrubias's Italianate courtyard, which, like most other parts of the building, was largely rebuilt after the civil war, when the Alcázar was besieged by the Republicans. Though the Nationalists' ranks were depleted, they held onto the building. General Francisco Franco later turned the Alcázar into a monument to Nationalist bravery. The Alcázar now houses the Museo del Ejército (Military Museum), which was formerly in Madrid.
- Address: Cuesta Carlos V 2, Toledo, 45001 | Map It
- Phone: 925/238800
- Cost: €5; free on Sundays and Mar. 29, May 18, Oct. 12, and Dec. 6.
- Hours: Oct.--May, Tues.--Sat. 10--7, Sun. 10--3; June--Sept., Tues.--Sat. 10--9, Sun. 10--3. Ticket office shuts 30 min before closing.
- Location: Toledo
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $58: Great Leon Price Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Jun deal: Novotel Valladolid Fr $65+/Nt Expedia
- Book 5-Star AC Palacio de Santa Ana by Marriott Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- $90 & Up: Melia Olid 4-Star Hotel in Valladolid — $90 Expedia
- 4-Star AC Leon San Antonio by Marriott Fr $70+/Nt — $70 Save with Hotels.com, $30/night less
Just got back from a few days in Barcelona with a fellow Fodorite. Read more
I have added photos from Spain, Morocco, and Gibraltar to my website. Read more
hello fellow travelers!
I am about to rent a car from Barcelona, to drive around the Costa Brava for 3 days. We are four (short, fit, slim) adults with a 21" rolling suitcase each. The less expensive cars Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more