- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Parque Nacional Timanfaya (Timanfaya National Park)
Parque Nacional Timanfaya (Timanfaya National Park) Review
The Parque Nacional Timanfaya, popularly known as "the Fire Mountains," takes up much of southern Lanzarote. As you enter the park from Yaiza, the first thing you'll see is the staging area for the Canaries' best-known camel rides. A bumpy camel trek lasts about 20 minutes. The volcanic landscape inside Timanfaya is a violent jumble of exploded craters, cinder cones, lava formations, and heat fissures. The park is protected, and you can visit only on a bus tour or a camel ride. A taped English commentary explains how the parish priest of Yaiza took notes during the 1730 eruption that buried two villages. He had plenty of time—the eruption lasted six years, making it the longest known eruption in volcanic history. By the time it was over, more than 75% of Lanzarote was covered in lava. Throughout the park, on signs and road markers, you'll see a little devil with a pitchfork; this diablito was designed by Manrique.
The Ruta de los Volcanes bus tour takes you around the central volcanic area on a 14-km (9-mile) circuit that was designed to have minimal impact on this natural park. Tickets can be bought at the stand at the entrance to the National Park. During summer, visit in late afternoon to avoid the crowds.
- Address: Centro de Visitantes Mancha Blancha, Ctra. de Yaiza a Tinajo, Km 11.5, Tinajo, 35560
- Phone: 928/118042
- Cost: Ruta de los Volcanes €8
- Hours: Visitor center weekdays 9–3. Ruta de los Volcanes July–Sept., daily 9–7; Oct.–June, daily 9–5:45
- Location: Yaiza
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Barcelona will be full of the greatest flamenco dancers every night from now until the beginning of January. Read more
· News & Features
For a lover of brews, there's no place quite like New Zealand. ... Read more
Phu Quoc, a fishing island in the Gulf of Thailand, is a quiet refuge of serene beaches, phenomenal seafood,... Read more
Travel is as much about the journey as the destination.... Read more