- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Amid the most verdant vegetation on Gran Canaria is the village of Teror. In the 18th-century church of Nuestra Señora del Pino (Our Lady of the Pine Tree), Gran Canaria's patron saint is seated on a silver throne above the altar. The statue, reportedly found in a pine tree in the 15th century, is removed for special fiestas. Parfumes Oceano, near the church parking lot, sells perfumes made locally from tropical flowers.
As you head west out of town, you'll see increasingly tropical foliage in the hillside villages of Firgas and Moya.
Elsewhere in Gran Canaria
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe