Honoring the patron saint of mariners, San Nicolás de Bari, the city's early waterfront church was built over an earlier eponymous hermitage and opened in 1756. With a powerful facade over the Arenal, originally a sandy beach, the church was much abused by French and Carlist troops throughout the 19th century. Sculptures by Juan Pascual de Mena adorn the interior. Look for the oval plaque to the left of the door marking the high-water mark of the flood of 1983.
Pl. de San Nicolás 1, Bilbao, Basque Country, 48005, Spain