Castillo de Arteaga
At a Glance
- excellent wine and local food product tastings
- views over the wetlands
- somewhat isolated from village life and a half-hour drive to Bilbao
Check Rates from our Partners
Castillo de Arteaga Review
Built in the mid-19th century for Empress Eugenia de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III, this Neo-gothic limestone castle with rooms in the watchtowers and defensive walls is one of the most extraordinary lodging options in or around Bilbao. Overlooking the Urdaibai Nature Reserve wetlands 30 minutes north of Bilbao near Guernica, Torre Arteaga is a favorite for bird watchers, with excursions by canoe available for exploring the marshes. The excellent restaurant and interaction with local products from seafood to txakolí (young white wine) producers make this a culinary destination as well. Rooms are palatial and equipped with contemporary technology.
- Address: Calle Gaztelubide 7, 40 km (24 miles) northwest of Bilbao, Gautegiz de Arteaga, 48314
- Phone: 94/627–0440
- Website: www.castillodearteaga.com
- Location: Bilbao
- 7 rooms, 6 suites
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed late Dec.–early Jan.