- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Spain 2014
Castillo de Arteaga
At a Glance
- excellent wine and local food product tastings
- views over the wetlands
- somewhat isolated from village life and a half-hour drive to Bilbao
Check Rates from our Partners
Castillo de Arteaga Review
Built in the mid-19th century for Empress Eugenia de Montijo, wife of Napoleon III, this Neo-gothic limestone castle with rooms in the watchtowers and defensive walls is one of the most extraordinary lodging options in or around Bilbao. Overlooking the Urdaibai Nature Reserve wetlands 30 minutes north of Bilbao near Guernica, Torre Arteaga is a favorite for bird watchers, with excursions by canoe available for exploring the marshes. The excellent restaurant and interaction with local products from seafood to txakolí (young white wine) producers make this a culinary destination as well. Rooms are palatial and equipped with contemporary technology.
- Address: Calle Gaztelubide 7, 40 km (24 miles) northwest of Bilbao Gautegiz de Arteaga, 48314
- Phone: 94/627–0440
- Website: www.castillodearteaga.com
- Location: Bilbao
- 7 rooms, 6 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed late Dec.–early Jan.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Hello (again) everyone,
Last June was my first ever trip to Europe. Read more
We will be driving from the Barcelona airport to Mirepoix, France on May 15th. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more