This town, 15 km (9 miles) west of Navarrete, was site of the court of the kings of Navarra and capital of Navarra and La Rioja until 1076, when La Rioja became part of Castile and the residence of the Castilian royal family. The monastery of Santa María la Rea l (P 941/363650 C Tues.–Sat. 10–1 and 4–5:30 or 7 in summer, Sun. and holidays 10–1 and 4–7 A €3 w www.santamarialareal.net), the "pantheon of kings," is distinguished by its 16th-century
Claustro de los Caballeros (Cavaliers' Cloister), a flamboyant Gothic structure with 24 lacy, Plateresque Renaissance arches overlooking a grassy patio. The sculpted 12th-century tomb of Doña Blanca de Navarra is the monastery's best-known sarcophagus, while the 67 Gothic choir stalls dating from 1495 are among Spain's best.
Nájera, La Rioja, 26300, Spain