- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Gran Teatre del Liceu
Gran Teatre del Liceu Review
Barcelona's famous opera house on the Rambla, in all its gilt and stained-glass and red plush glory, runs a full season from September through June, combining the Liceu's own chorus and orchestra with first-tier, invited soloists from Roberto Alagna and Rolando Villazón to Nicole Cabell and Anna Netrebko. For most operas in any given season, there are also "popular" performances, with lesser-known but promising singers in the leading roles, at substantially lower prices. In addition, touring dance companies—ballet, flamenco, and modern dance—appear here. The downstairs foyer holds early-evening recitals, puppet shows for children on weekends, and occasional analytical discussions. The Espai Liceu under the opera house includes an excellent café; a gift shop for music-related DVDs, CDs, books, instruments, and knickknacks; and a tiny 50-seat theater projecting fragments of operas and a video of the history of the Liceu. Seats can be expensive and hard to get; reserve well in advance.
- Address: La Rambla 51–59, La Rambla, Barcelona, Catalonia 08002
- Phone: 93/485–9900
- Hours: Tours: daily 10 am (subject to performances and rehearsals). Espai Liceu: weekdays 11–8. Box office: weekdays 1:30–8 and one hour before performances on weekends
- Website: www.liceubarcelona.cat
- Metro Liceu.
- Location: Barcelona
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Hello (again) everyone,
Last June was my first ever trip to Europe. Read more
After comparing the prices for the Eurail Spain pass and the France-Spain pass, I was surprised to see that the two country pass was cheaper for the same number of days. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors editor gives advice on how to travel by rail ... Read more
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more