- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
At a Glance
- perfectly located
- decorated in Barcelona's iconic Art Nouveau style
- friendly staff
- superb beds
- the lower rooms on the Carrer Sant Pau side hear more street noise than desirable
- rooms are somewhat small and do not carry the Art Nouveau theme
- rooftop pool, spa, and gym only available June through September
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel España Review
For location, decor, and economy, this recently renovated Art Nouveau gem is rushing to the top of Barcelona's hotel offerings. Abutting the Liceu opera house and 100 yards from the middle of the Rambla, this Moderniste tour de force was built by Palau de la Música architect Lluís Doménech i Montaner in 1904. One big lure is its excellent restaurant, Fonda España ($$), directed by Martín Berasategui and surrounded by Art Nouveau ceramics by mosaic master Mario Maragliano (1864–1944). Rooms depart from the more ornamental public spaces in favor of handsome and paired-down decor in grays and dark browns reminiscent of West Elm.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
I went to http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng/
to try to purchase 2 tickets for "Sagrada Familia with a Guide" for April 22.
Selecting 15:00h, then click "Continue".
On the next screen ( https://www.clorian.com/site/SagradaFamilia/product/11/type/1?lang=en Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spai ... Read more
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more