- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App
Torre Bellesguard Review
For Gaudí to the last drop, climb up above Plaça de la Bonanova to this private residence built between 1900 and 1909 over the ruins of the summer palace of the last of the sovereign count-kings of the Catalan-Aragonese realm, Martí I l'Humà (Martin I the Humane), whose reign ended in 1410. This homage to the king has a bell arch, tower, gargoyles, and crenellated battlements that are all Gaudí winks to Gothic architecture; the catenary arches and the puzzles of trencadis (broken bits of stone) of colored slate on the facade and over the windows are pure Gaudí. Built of rough slate from the Collserola hills up behind the site, Torre Bellesguard blends into the background in what seems an early example of low-impact environmental design. Look for the stained-glass red and gold markings of the Catalan senyera (banner) on the tower, which is topped by the typical four-armed Greek cross favored by Gaudí. Over the front door is the inscription sens pecat fou concebuda (without sin was she conceived) referring to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, while above on the facade appears a colorful Bell Esguard (beautiful view). On either side of the front door are benches with trencadis mosaics of playful fish bearing the crimson quatre barres (four bars) of the Catalan flag as well as the Corona d'Aragó (Crown of Aragón). Alas, the surprisingly colorful and ornate interior of the residence is rarely viewable.
- Address: Bellesguard 16–20, Sant Gervasi, Barcelona, Catalonia 08022 | Map It
- Phone: 93/250–4093; 646/800127
- Cost: Full tour €16 (reservations required); grounds only €7 (with audio guide)
- Hours: Guided 1-hr tours of house and grounds in English (maximum 15 persons) weekdays 11 am; open visits to grounds weekdays Nov.–Mar. 10 am to 3 pm, Apr.–Oct. 10 to 7:30
- Website: www.bellesguardgaudi.com
- Metro Sarrià.
- Location: Upper Barcelona
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This will be my first time writing a trip report -- I've thoroughly enjoyed reading other trip reports on this site and hope you will find mine just as entertaining and hopefully informative.
My idea fo Read more
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
There have been two towns that I have been told would make a good base. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spai ... Read more
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more