- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (City History Museum)
Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (City History Museum) Review
This fascinating museum just off the Plaça del Rei traces Barcelona's evolution from its first Iberian settlement through its Roman and Visigothic times and beyond. Antiquity is the focus here: Romans took the city during the Punic Wars, and the striking underground remains of their Colonia Favencia Julia Augusta Paterna Barcino (Favored Colony of the Father Julius Augustus Barcino), through which you can roam on metal walkways, are the museum's main treasure. Archaeological finds include Roman houses, parts of walls and fluted columns as well as recovered busts and vases. The visit includes tours of treasures around Plaça del Rei including the Palau Reial Major, the splendid Saló del Tinell, and the chapel of Santa Àgata.
- Address: Palau Padellàs, Carrer del Veguer 2, Barri Gòtic, Barcelona, Catalonia 08002 | Map It
- Phone: 93/256–2122
- Cost: €7 (includes admission to Monestir de Pedralbes, Centre d'Interpretació del Park Güell, Centre d'Interpretació del Call, Centre d'Interpretació Històrica, Refugi 307, and Museu-Casa Verdaguer)
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. 10–7, Sun. 10–8
- Website: www.museuhistoria.bcn.cat
- Metro Catalunya, Liceu, Jaume I.
- Location: The Barri Gòtic
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We spent 5 days based at Embalse de Alloz below the village of Lerate, about 10 miles south west of Estella. Read more
We spent 4 days in Picos de Europa, based near Potes. Read more
Hi - My parents are going to Spain (Valencia/Barcelona) for a couple of weeks and I wanted to give them a gift card/travel card for Christmas to use on their trip. Read more
· News & Features
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more
Just because this sensuous Mediterranean city epitomizes Catalonian cool doesn't mean it's unsuitable... Read more
When Hollywood came calling, these 10 hotels were ready for their close-ups.... Read more