- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (Museum of the History of the City)
Museu d'Història de la Ciutat (Museum of the History of the City) Review
This fascinating museum just off the Plaça del Rei traces Barcelona's evolution from its first Iberian settlement through its Roman and Visigothic times and beyond. Antiquity is the focus here: Romans took the city during the Punic Wars, and the striking underground remains of their Colonia Favencia Julia Augusta Paterna Barcino (Favored Colony of the Father Julius Augustus Barcino), through which you can roam on metal walkways, are the museum's main treasure. Archaeological finds include Roman houses, parts of walls and fluted columns as well as recovered busts and vases. The visit includes tours of treasures around Plaça del Rei including the Palau Reial Major, the splendid Saló del Tinell, and the chapel of Santa Àgata.
- Address: Palau Padellàs, Carrer del Veguer 2, Barri Gòtic, Barcelona, Catalonia 08002 | Map It
- Phone: 93/256–2122
- Cost: €7 (includes admission to Monestir de Pedralbes, Centre d'Interpretació del Park Güell, Centre d'Interpretació del Call, Centre d'Interpretació Històrica, Refugi 307, and Museu-Casa Verdaguer). Free with the Barcelona Card, and Sun. after 3 pm
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. 10–7, Sun. 10–8
- Website: www.museuhistoria.bcn.cat
- Metro Catalunya, Liceu, Jaume I.
- Location: The Barri Gòtic
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Hello (again) everyone,
Last June was my first ever trip to Europe. Read more
It has been years since I posted to this board, and I hope everyone is doing well. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spai ... Read more
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more