- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Plaça Sant Jaume
Plaça Sant Jaume Review
This central hub a couple of blocks east of the Cathedral is the site of Catalonia's government building, the Generalitat de Catalunya in the Palau de La Generalitat, and Barcelona's City Hall, the Casa de la Ciutat–Ayuntamiento de Barcelona. This was the site of the Roman forum 2,000 years ago, though subsequent construction filled the space with buildings. The square was cleared in the 1840s, but the two imposing (and often opposing) government buildings facing each other across it are much older.
- Address: Pl. Sant Jaume, Barri Gòtic, Barcelona, 08002 | Map It
- Hours: Guided tours of the Ayuntamiento in English, weekends at 11 am; tours of the Generalitat, 2nd and 4th weekends every month 10:30 am–1 pm, by reservation only.
- Website: www.bcn.es
- Metro Jaume I.
- Location: The Barri Gòtic
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi to All, As usual, I'm starting my TR ahead of the trip (about a month) so others can gauge how much pre-planning they need. Read more
Hello (again) everyone,
Last June was my first ever trip to Europe. Read more
It has been years since I posted to this board, and I hope everyone is doing well. Read more
· News & Features
In our inaugural Ask Fodor's column, one of our editors gives advice on how to travel by rail in Spai ... Read more
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more