- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Plaça Sant Jaume
Plaça Sant Jaume Review
This central hub a couple of blocks east of the Cathedral is the site of Catalonia's government building, the Generalitat de Catalunya in the Palau de La Generalitat, and Barcelona's City Hall, the Casa de la Ciutat–Ayuntamiento de Barcelona. This was the site of the Roman forum 2,000 years ago, though subsequent construction filled the space with buildings. The square was cleared in the 1840s, but the two imposing (and often opposing) government buildings facing each other across it are much older.
- Address: 08002 | Map It
- Hours: Guided tours of the ayuntamiento in English, Mon.–Sat. at 11 am; tours of the generalitat (reservations online at www.gencat.cat/generalitat/cat/guia/palau/index.htm), 2nd and 4th Sat.–Sun. 9 am–1 pm.
- Website: www.bcn.es
- Metro Jaume I.
- Location: The Barri Gòtic
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
I was on the 09:20 Barcelona to Paris TGV Duplex on Monday (16 December 2013) - only its 2nd day of operation. Read more
In this trip report, I’ll be describing my recent holiday in Northern Spain and Southern France. Here’s the breakdown of my travel: one day each in Bilbao, San Sebastian, Lourdes and Read more
· News & Features
Barcelona offers up the perfect ingredients for an extra-long weekend escape: culture, history, a vibra ... Read more
Few parts of the world rival Barcelona and its surrounds for richness of food, wine, culture, and scenery.... Read more
Just because this sensuous Mediterranean city epitomizes Catalonian cool doesn't mean it's unsuitable... Read more