- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Barcelona has loved jazz ever since Sam Wooding and his Chocolate Kiddies triumphed here in 1929. Jack Hilton's visits in the early '30s paved the way for Benny Carter and the Hot Club of Barcelona in 1935 and 1936. In the early years of the post-Spanish civil war Franco dictatorship, jazz was viewed as a dangerous influence from beyond, but by 1969 Duke Ellington's Sacred Concerts smuggled jazz into town under the protective umbrella of the same Catholic Church whose conservative elements cautioned the Franco regime against the perils of this "degenerate music."
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $87 & up -- Barcelona: 4-Star Hotel thru Summer, 40% Off Mercure Augusta Barcelona Valles
- $629 -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Norwegian Epic CruisesOnly
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 — $499 Norwegian Cruise Line
- $438 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Royal Caribbean — $438 American Express Travel
- $549 & up -- 7-Night Mediterranean Cruise, R/T Rome — $549 American Express Travel